13 suggestions for residents to address concerns in an Assisted Living
1. Report the concern to the administrator verbally and in writing. Keep a copy of what you submit
2. If the issue is not of a private personal matter share the issue at the resident council meeting. Maybe there are others with a similar concern
3. Tell your family member or legal representative.
4. Call the Ombudsman with your concerns. Their number should be posted in the facility.
5. Submit a suggestion to the suggestion box for resolution of the issue.
6. Call the Corporate 1-800 number, often times a corporation will have a number for complaints.
7. Report the concern to the State Complaint Hot Line. Number should be posted in the facility.
8. Report your concern to your case manager, if you have one.
9. Share your concerns with the facility's licensed nurse.
10. Share your concerns with your minister.
11. Share your concerns with your doctor or therapist.
12. Document the date the problem started, the date you told someone about the issue, and the name of the person you told.
13. Check back in a reasonable amount of time with the individual you shared the concern with, to see what action has been taken.
To read more Thursday Thirteen click on