Monday 6/15/09 is Elder Abuse Awareness Day. I wanted to share 'What are the signs of Elder abuse?'
* Unexplained injuries, bruises, burns, puncture wounds, cuts, sunken eyes and/or welts.
* Excessive fears, withdrawal, agitation.
* Changes in appetite or unusual weight gain or loss.
* Poor personal hygiene.
* Unexplained changes in health, personality or behavior.
* Frequent arguments or tension between the elder and his/her caregiver.
* Unsanitary or unsafe living conditions.
* Unnecessary services. goods or subscriptions.
* Sudden inability to pay bills, buy food or personal items.
* Financial activity the elder could not have done.
* suspicious changes in wills, POA, titles and policies.
What can you do as a concerned friend or family member?
* If you suspect abuse, REPORT IT!
* Monitor the elder's medication
* Ask the elder if someone they trust could review their bank statements, credit card statements for unauthorized transactions.
* Pay attention to "new" friends
* Offer to assist the elder with household needs (lawn care, repair work, etc.)
* Call and visit as often as possible
* Get acquainted with the elder's neighbors-enlist their help.