Wednesday, August 6, 2008
Thursday Thirteen Edition #4
Thirteen ideas to help an older person
1. Offer to spend time with them even if it is for only 20 minutes.
2. Ask the older person to talk about places they have been.
3. If the person is vision impaired offer to read something to them they would enjoy.
4. Assist them to get connected with services for the blind, such as books on tape.
5. Offer to do a task that is now difficult for them to do, such as dusting.
6. Ask the person to share what their life was like growing up.
7. Ask them what they did for fun as teenagers.
8. Ask them who their favorite actor or actress is.
9. Ask them about who they think was the best president and why.
10. Ask them about hobbies they use to do.
11. Offer to drive them somewhere they need to go or drive them to church.
12. Offer to run an errand for them.
13. Remember to always thank them for their time and shake their hand or give a hug if appropriate.