Soothing Holiday Loneliness:
1. Look in the eyes, touch the hand, smile, and call the person by name.
2. Take time to be with the individual even when completing procedures.
3. Listen to stories.
4. Honor traditions.
5. Create gifts.
6. Use holiday music from the person's cohort.
7. Decorate with period ornaments.
8. Hold a holiday dance.
9. Have some special treats from the individuals' differing backgrounds (rum cake, Baklava, etc.)
10. Adopt a grandchild programs for those who have no family in the area is a way to bring children back into the holidays.
11. Arrange for carolers to come in and sing.
12. Warm apple cider and hot chocolate always brings a smile.
13. Hang the stockings with care.
Memories are precious. Too many holidays go by in which the memories of past holidays haunt and create want. We have the power to make them better by taking care to treat each person with consideration while helping them create a fond memory of this holiday.